Frequently asked questions are just that; questions that we receive most often. Click on the questions below to see the answer!

If your query hasn't been answered below then contact us, we're always happy to help.

If you have a specific question about yoga teacher training or enrolling in a course, then head to the NEW STUDENTS page. You may find the answer waiting for you there.


Are YIMI courses registered?

Courses that grant a qualification upon graduation are registered with appropriate industry bodies. Please refer to each course for specific course registration information.

Courses that upgrade qualifications attract CPD points with relevant industry bodies and are registered where required.

What is the minimum qualification to become a yoga teacher?

Technically, you need to complete a minimum of 200 hours of formal training to obtain a qualification that entitles you to apply for insurance to teach yoga. Formal training consists of yoga teacher training courses that are offered with the intention to provide a qualification. For example, undertaking 200 hours of yoga classes does not qualify you as a yoga teacher for insurance purposes. It is a good idea to enrol in a course that is registered and recognised by an industry body to ensure you can obtain adequate insurance. YIMI courses are recognised by Yoga Australia.

Do I need to be a member of Yoga Australia to be a yoga teacher?
While we recommend joining Yoga Australia or another industry body, you do not need to be a member of Yoga Australia, or any other industry body, to be a qualified and insured yoga teacher. To obtain full membership with Yoga Australia, you require a minimum of 350 hours of formal training to be a recognised yoga teacher. You can find out about Yoga Australia membership here. You could also join Yoga Alliance or another similar body, which generally only require a minimum of 200 hours of formal training. To join an industry body, you must demonstrate your qualifications. If the course you undertake is not registered with that body, you may need to provide evidence that it meets the industry body’s criteria for membership.
Do I need insurance to teach yoga?
Yes, you should take out insurance public liability and medical malpractice/professional indemnity if you plan to teach yoga. Insurance to teach yoga can be obtained through most insurance companies.
Can I teach overseas?

Yes, definitely! The minimum amount of yoga teacher training to teach worldwide is 200hrs. Australian yoga teachers can get insurance to teach, with a 200hr registered course such as the ones that we offer here at YIMI, to teach all over the world - excluding the US & Canada. Insurance companies have different stipulations for the US & Canada based on the laws in those countries. However, residents of the US and Canada can do a YIMI course in Australia, including YIMI's online and distance courses, and will then be able to purchase insurance cover to teach in the US and Canada.


Residents of all other countries can enrol in YIMI's online and distance courses and can teach worldwide (excluding the US and Canada) once insurance is purchased for the applicable country/ies.

How do I get to Zama Yoga Toowong, and where can I park?
Our Toowong Studio is conveniently located on Toowong High Street, within walking distance of Toowong train station. Maps and full details can be found on our campuses page.
There is is free street parking near the studio. Leave plenty of time to find a space. Alternatively there is a commuter car park off Coronation Drive.
How do I get to Upper Brookfield Retreat, and where can I park?

Our Brookfield studio is amongst the trees and greenery of the beautiful Upper Brookfield. Public transport will only take you so far so it’s best to drive or car share where possible. Maps and full details can be found on our campuses page.

There is plenty of parking available onsite.
Is there accommodation options nearby Zama Yoga Toowong and Upper Brookfield Retreat?

Yes! A list of places to stay nearby can be found on our accommodation page.