Yoga therapy is the adaptation of yoga practices to suit specific individual needs. It uses the tools of yoga to enhance the lives of all people including those experiencing a wide range of ailments or disabilities.
‘Yoga therapy’ is such a broad term and it can be difficult to know where to begin when exploring the route of yoga therapist. This yimi short course will help you explore the foundations of yoga therapy and provide you with essential tools to begin your journey.
What to expect
According to the Upanishads, we are comprised of five layers or sheaths that make up what we experience and identify as the Self; our prakriti, our human nature. The five sheaths, or koshas (also kosas) are comprised of the physical, the energetic, the mental, the intuitive and the spiritual bodies. This model serves as the basis for the therapeutic application yoga and yoga therapy.
In this course, senior teacher Craig Smith will explore each of the five layers and follow the threads inward growing our awareness and wisdom.
From the lineage of Krischnamacharya, the full teachings from this Vedic model will be broken down to reveal a delightful and welcome path to Self-knowledge and health.
Craig Smith has been sharing the authentic practices and techniques as prescribed from Patanjalis’ Yoga Sutras and Krishnamacharyas viniyoga tradition in an inspiring and functional way for many years. He is a Senior Yoga teacher and therapist with an incredible amount of prior knowledge and skill in guiding students on a fruitful yogic journey.
What you will learn
- Foundations of Yoga & Yoga Therapy
- Energetics and the Pancha-Maya Kosha Model
- Principles of Examination in regards to the physical body
- Human Constitution; The Yogic Perspective – Why the human constitution is relevant in designing a practice
- Methodology in Yoga Therapy – Steps toward individual analysis
- Application of Yoga
- Individual Goal, Selection of tools and progression – how to create and prescribe an individualised practice
- Pulse Examination – Nadi Pariksa – learn the ancient ayurvedic technique of diagnosis through the pulse
Craig Smith is a Senior Yoga teacher and therapist with an incredible amount of prior knowledge and skill. Craig’s strengths lie in his sankalpa shakti (spiritual strength) his generous heart and warm nature. Craig will share with you his remarkable and wise methodology in traditional yoga therapy.
- Principle’s and Practice of Yoga Therapy Book 1 Dr N Chandrasekaran
- Religiousness in Yoga by T.K.V. Desikachar
Recommended books (not required)
- An illustrated Guide to asanas and Pranayama M.J.N Smith
- 1 yoga mat
We have lots of further information on our FAQ’s page such as
- how to find our studios
- where to stay if you need accommodation
- where to park
- what to do if you live too far away to attend our studios for class hours*
- what to do if you know in advance that you cannot attend some teacher training days